Sunday, February 21, 2016

About Seasonal Cooking Workshops

I have been offering seasonal cooking workshops in my home for a couple of years, with an emphasis on Ayurvedic vegetarian mostly Indian dishes.  I wanted to thank everyone who has participated and explain a bit about Ayurveda and my workshops. 
Ayurveda means the knowledge of life and is the companion science to yoga, dating back 5000 years. It is a complete holistic health system whose purpose is to create and maintain optimal health, focusing on the whole person .  It emphasizes diet and nutrition as the basis for maintaining good health and vitality.    Although changing one’s diet and eating patterns can have enormous benefits for one’s health, it is often difficult to break deep seated habits.
If you would like to get started on cooking healthful and delicious food, learn more about how to eat to stay in balance with the seasons, your time of life and individual constitution, or just learn some new recipes and have fun with like minded people in the process, please consider signing up for one of my cooking workshops.
You will learn about food, the 6 tastes and diet and lifestyle from the Ayurvedic perspective.  Everyone helps prepare a full meal in a fun and collegial atmosphere.  We sit down and eat the meal we have cooked in a calm and relaxed manner on my handmade pottery.  Each participant receives the recipes and other relevant handouts including seasonal tips.  Often there is a spice mix or commonly used ingredients included as well.
Generally, I set a date, and people sign up to participate, from 4 to 6 participants at each workshop.   Alternatively, if you and several friends or family members would like to have your own private workshop, contact me to arrange a date.
My next workshop will be on Sunday, April 10 from 2 to 5 pm.  I could also host a workshop on Monday April 11th from 4 to 7 pm if that is better for more people.  The focus will be cooking for early spring. Making a healthy transition from winter to spring is important for getting rid of the heaviness and sluggishness of winter and making space for the new growth of spring, both in our bodies and gardens.  The emphasis in the spring is on lighter cooked foods.
Tip for the remainder of winter:  Make sure to stay lubricated to benefit all your tissues,  internal and external.   Massage your skin with  good quality and warming oil, like one with a sesame base, and eat healthy fat like avocado and ghee. The dryer your body is in winter, the more mucus you produce in the spring.
Look at some of my recent posts to see pictures from my cooking workshops! 

I will be in India for 3 weeks and will resume posts when I return in mid-March.

No comments:

Post a Comment